Aged care providers

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission (external link) provides a free service for anyone to raise a concern or make a complaint about the quality of care or services provided to people receiving Australian Government funded aged care.

Disability service providers

The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission (external link) accepts complaints from anyone about NDIS providers, services or supports that were not provided in a safe and respectful way or to an appropriate standard.

Private Health Insurance

The role of the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman is to protect the interests of private health insurance consumers in a number of ways. Contact them to make an online complaint. This is managed through the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

Breaches of privacy and access to medical records

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (external link) is the independent national regulator for privacy and freedom of information. They promote and uphold your rights to access Commonwealth government-held information and have your personal information protected. You are also able to access your personal information under the Tasmanian Personal Information Protection Act and the Right to Information Act 2009. Find out about your rights regarding accessing your health information (external link)

Orders made by the Mental Health Tribunal

The Mental Health Tribunal (external link) can review decisions about a patient's treatment, to make sure it remains appropriate and effective and whether the patient still needs to be on an order.  You can also contact Advocacy Tasmania (external link) if you need help to talk to the Mental Health Tribunal.

Orders made by the Guardianship and Administration Board

The Guardianship and Administration Board (external link) can make orders appointing a guardian or an administrator to make decisions on your behalf. If you disagree with the order you can contact the Board (external link) (PDF, 258.0 KB) or you can also contact Advocacy Tasmania (external link) if you need help to talk to the Board.

Complaints about the Public Guardian

You can lodge complaints about any Office of the Public Guardian (external link) service via letter, telephone, fax or email.

Health complaints in other states and territories

We only handle complaints about health services provided in Tasmania. If you wish to complain about a health service you received in another state or territory, please contact the relevant health entity in your state or territory.

Conduct of your health service provider

If you have concerns about the conduct or performance of a registered medical practitioner you can complain to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (external link) (Ahpra).

Medicare or health fraud

Concerns about Medicare fraud or overservicing by a health provider can be made to Services Australia (external link).

Scheduled medications

If you are unhappy about access to scheduled medications, or restrictions on your medications made by the Pharmaceutical Services Branch (external link) you can seek a review of the decision by completing and lodging the relevant form.

Defective health-related products

You may have noticed a defect or fault with a health-related product you have purchased, for example, hearing aids, dentures etc. If you are concerned about the provision of faulty health products, you can contact Consumer Building and Occupational Services (CBOS) (external link).  They also accept complaints about product safety and warranties.

Do you need a Health Advocate?

Advocacy Tasmania (external link) works with older people, people living with disability or mental health issues, and people who use alcohol or drugs. Advocacy is all about helping you to be heard and understood.

Legal Aid

Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania (external link) provides legal advice, representation, family dispute resolution services and legal education to the Tasmanian community. Their focus is on economically and socially disadvantaged Tasmanians.

Updated: 19th May 2021