Improvements - Cases closed in Conciliation
These improvements were initiated as a result of cases closed during the conciliation process in 2019-2020:
- Review by the obstetrics and gynaecology quality and improvement working group in a public hospital to investigate and recommend strategies for improving the outcomes from perineal tears during child birth.
- Review and amendment of the screening and surveillance guidelines used by Child Health and Parenting Services (CHaPS) to include a focus not only on child development but also on growth.
- Implementation of a red flag system for referral for any growth chart anomalies or unusual measurements – such as growth plateaus or crossings of percentiles.
- Training to CHaPS staff in child growth and referral pathways and exploration of direct referrals in appropriate cases.
- Review and revision of protocols and guidelines for tilt table testing for post orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) at a public hospital
- Education to clinicians on investigation and treatment of syncope including the use of tilt table tests.
- Education to staff in relation to alternate referral pathways for patients for autonomic function testing.
- Multi-professional obstetric training (PROMPT) in the effective management of obstetric emergencies.
- Ongoing audit, and inter professional training, in recognising and responding to clinically deteriorating patients.